Mission & Vision
The core mission of βιος-Society of Biological Sciences in Cyprus (βιος-SBSCy) is to promote scientific research, training, education, discourse, and outreach in the Molecular Life Sciences.
Its principal objective to support the Molecular Life Sciences in Cyprus is based on the use of scientific reason and method.
The specific objectives of its mission include:
• the organisation of scientific conferences and events
• the support of its members’ scientific research, activity and growth
• the promotion of education and professional development of Life Scientists in Cyprus
• the representation of Cyprus and establishment of collaborations in international scientific organisations and networks with similar interests and activities
• the consultation with the government towards forming relevant national policies and legislation
• the (e)publishing of educational and scientific material
The vision of βιος-SBSCy is to serve as a unifying forum for all Life Scientists in Cyprus. Our aim is to participate in and facilitate the promotion and effective diffusion of new discoveries in the Molecular Life Sciences to the benefit of the local and international community. We also wish to contribute to the general public’s understanding and appreciation of the beauty and usefulness of the Molecular Life Sciences in improving the quality of life and in protecting our environment.
• Organises national conferences, including the National Conference in Molecular Life Sciences. Our 1st National Conference (October 2022) will include the FEBS National Lecture.
• Established the βιος-SBSCy Seminar Series with research seminars by international invited speakers that runs regularly throughout each year.
• Offers a monthly scientific forum with short scientific talks followed by discussion among participants that runs regularly throughout each year.
• Membership of βιος-SBSCy as the Cypriot Constituent Society of FEBS and as the Cypriot Adhering Body of the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (IUBMB), enables Members of our society to be eligible for the benefits of participation in these international organisations (fellowships, conferences, grants and bursaries, and much more).
• The Annual Meeting of βιος SBSCy Members for networking and exchanges.
Scientific outreach activities and societal issues of interest
• The βιος-SBSCy has meaningful participation in international scientific fora and in the local public discourse and publishes public statements and positions on important international and local issues of the Molecular Life Sciences with societal impact.
The βιος-SBSCy was founded in December 2020 and publicly launched in February 2021. It became a member of IUBMB in July 2021. It became a member of FEBS in July 2022.
Membership in βιος-SBSCy is open to resident and non-resident scientists of any nationality in an inclusive manner, in line with EU legislation for professional mobility. Its regular members include scientists in academia and research institutes, the medical, diagnostic, biotech, pharmaceutical, and agrotechnology sectors, in education, government scientific laboratories and departments, and NGOs, and includes young scientists (Ph.D. students and postdoctoral researchers).
Prof. Niovi Santama (President)
Dr Andri Christodoulou (Secretary)
University of Cyprus