Support for Constituent Society Events
FEBS National Lectures
FEBS supports plenary lectures (usually five per year) to enhance the scientific meetings of its Constituent Societies, through FEBS National Lecture awards. Established to commemorate the 40th anniversary of FEBS, these enable a distinguished scientist with a significant international reputation for fundamental contributions to the fields of biochemistry and molecular biology who is working in a different FEBS country to the one hosting the event to present a lecture at the meeting, by supporting the speaker’s travel costs. Full further details, see the FEBS National Lectures guidelines.
2022 National Lectures:
• 31st International Congress of the Association (ATSB) Hammamet, Tunisia 21-24.3.2022 Lecturer: Dr Thierry Candresse (Bordeaux, France):
• 'Chemical Sciences in Biological Challenges' Symposium (BioBio) Kuopio, Finland 15-17.6.2022 Lecturer: Prof. Finbarr O'Harte (Belfast, UK) postponed from 2020
• LABS (Latvia) National Lecturer, FEBS 3+ Meeting, Tallinn, Estonia 15-17.6.2022 Lecturer: Prof. Helgi B Schiöth (Uppsala, Sweden)
• 25th Swedish Conference on Macromolecular Structure & Function (SWEPROT) Tällberg, Sweden 17-20.6.2022 Lecturer: Prof. Frank von Delft (Oxford, UK)
• 44th Annual Meeting ot the Spanish Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (SEBBM) Malaga, Spain 6-9.9.2022 Prof. Dario Alessi (Dundee, UK)
• XVII International FISV Congress (hosted by SIB), Naples-Portici, Italy 14-16.9.2022 Lecturer: Prof. Carlo Catapano (Bellinzona, Switzerland)
• HDBMB meeting 'From Science to Knowledge' Brela, Croatia 28.9-1.10.2022 Lecturer: Prof. Irene Diaz Moreno (Seville, Spain)
• 12th SifrARN Conference (SFBBM, France) Bordeaux, France 3-5.10.2022 Lecturer: Prof. Jörg Vogel (Würzberg, Germany)
• TBS 33rd National Congress Izmir, Turkey 26-30.10.2022 Lecturer: Prof. Xavier Coumoul (Paris, France)
2021 National Lectures:
• TBS 32nd National Congress Gaziantep, Turkey 27-30.10.2021 Lecturer: Prof. Mubeccel Akdis (Zurich, Switzerland)
• 43rd Congress of SEBBM virtual meeting 19-22.7.2021 Lecturer: Prof. Anna Akhmanova (Utrecht, The Netherlands) postponed from 2020
• 4th Congress of Polish Bioscience 'Bio2020' (hosted by Polish Biochemical Society) 7-10.9.2021, Lublin, Poland cancelled
2020 National Lectures:
• 56th NBS Contact Meeting 2020 Voss, Norway 23-26.1.2020 Lecturer: Dr Pavel Tomancak (Dresden, Germany)
• SFBBM and SFG first Conference: Genetic Code, Mechanisms, Evolution and Engineering, Strasbourg, France Lecturer: Prof. Barbara Nawrot (Lodz, Poland) cancelled
The FEBS3+ Meetings programme was established by FEBS to support scientific meetings, equivalent to an annual national scientific meeting of a Consituent Society, but organised through collaboration of at least three FEBS Constituent Societies. The aim of the programme is to increase international collaboration between molecular life scientists in a subset of countries within the FEBS area, such as those in a particular region or linked in other ways, while also encouraging sharing of Society expertise and efforts. These events (a maximum of two per year) should be scientific meetings with symposia and colloquia corresponding to the format of an annual national scientific meeting of a Constituent Society. In 2017 the support was €20,000, with €10,000 awarded to the host Society for general organization purposes to cover lecturers’ travel expenses, accommodation, congress venue renting and so on, and a second €10,000 awarded for a 3+ 3+ travel award scheme to attract young scientists living outside the host country who are members of the two (or more) collaborating Societies. For further details, see the FEBS3+ Meetings guidelines. Applications for 2023 are open and the deadline for applications for meetings in 2023 is 30th September 2022.
FEBS 3+ meetings:
2022: Baltic meeting (Estonian Biochemical Society, organiser) with LaBS (Latvia) and LBD (Lithuania) societies 15-17.6.22 Tallinn, Estonia
2022: Machines on Genes meeting (Biochemical Society, UK organiser) with NVBMB (Netherlands) and SEBBM (Spain) 22-26.5.22 Alicante, Spain (postponed from 2020)
2021: XXVI Annual Congress meeting CSBMB (Czech Republic, organiser) with SSBMB (Slovakia), GBM (Germany) and ÖGMBT (Austria) 29.8-1.9.2021 České Budějovice, Czech Republic
2020: LS2 Annual Meeting (Switzerland, organiser) with GBM (Germany) and ÖGMBT (Austria) 13-14.2.20 Zurich, Switzerland
2019: LaBS (Latvia, organiser) with LBD (Lithuania) and EBS (Estonia) 17-21.6.19 Riga, Latvia
2018: MBKE (Hungary, organiser) with SBD (Slovenia), HDBMB (Croatia) and SBS (Serbia) 2-5.9.18 Siofok, Hungary
2018: 11th Parnas Conference: UBS (Ukraine, organiser) with ISBMB (Israel) and PTBioch (Poland) 2-5.9.18 Kiev, Ukraine
FEBS Patronage is offered to FEBS Constituent Societies’ own activities to help with their promotion to participants and with obtaining other sources of support. It is intended to recognize activities with a high scientific or other value in line with FEBS’ charitable objectives. Applications for FEBS Patronage can be made where the Constituent Society’s event or activity may not be eligible for the other existing support initiatives offered by FEBS.
FEBS’s Patronage may be granted to a range of activities organized by FEBS Constituent Societies, including national and international scientific events. Patronage cannot be granted to individual persons, organizations themselves and permanent activities.
A letter of application should be submitted with full details of the event or activity and for full further details, see the FEBS Patronage guidelines.
FEBS Education Workshops
The FEBS Education Committee has developed workshops that can be co-organized with FEBS Consitutent Societies to promote high-quality undergraduate and postgraduate education in the molecular life sciences in different countries of the FEBS area. These cover a range of topical issues of interest to both educators and young scientists, including post-graduate education, problem-based learning, designing laboratory practicals, and key scientific skills. For recent and upcoming education workshops, please refer to the Education page of the FEBS website; for more information for Constituent Societies interested in hosting education workshops, or other education queries, please contact Prof. Ferhan G. Sağin, Chair, FEBS Education Committee, via the Contact Us section of the website.
FEBS Science and Society Events/Activities
The FEBS Science and Society Committee supports events or other activities of FEBS Constituent Societies that build on and extend to a wider audience the topic of the Science and Society session at the most recent FEBS Congress. The exact format of the event/activity is up to the organizing society and the Committee would like to support a range of activities from speaker events to educational activities, including for public engagement. Up to €1500 is available from FEBS to support this activity. Events or activities which involve more than one FEBS Constituent Society or which enable the sharing of an activity across Constituent Societies are encouraged. Societies who wish to apply should check the current theme and further guidelines on the Science and Society webpage here.
Photos show (from top): Prof. Fiona Watt as the FEBS National Lecturer at an a meeting of the Spanish Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Prof. Ada Yonath (speaker) with organizers of a FEBS3+ meeting of the Croatian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, the Hungarian Biochemical Society, and the Slovenian Biochemical Society; a FEBS education workshop at the Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology, Gdansk (supported by the Polish Biochemical Society); a FEBS-supported CRISPR discussion in Malaga organized with the Spanish Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.