FEBS Fellowship Follow-up Research Fund
The aim of our Fellowship Follow-up Research Fund is to help young scientists who have been recipients of a FEBS Long-Term Fellowship to start work in an independent position in a FEBS country after completion of their Fellowship.
The grant consists of a single sum of money which may be used to buy small pieces of equipment and specific consumable items, but not as a salary or to defray travel, conference, publication or similar expenses.
Applications may be made during the tenure of the Long-Term Fellowship, but not longer than 24 months after its completion. In order to be eligible to apply for a grant from the Fund, applicants need to be members of a FEBS Constituent Society and starting work or working in an institute in a FEBS country where an independent career position has been offered to them after completion of their FEBS Long-Term Fellowship.
Grants are awarded once a year. Applications should reach the Chairperson of the FEBS Fellowships Committee before April 1st of the corresponding year.
For detailed information, please read the following carefully: the Guidelines for the FEBS Fellowship Follow-up Research Fund directly below, and also the General Guidelines for Fellowships.
To be read in conjunction with the General Guidelines for Fellowships
- The aim of this Fund is to help young scientists who have been recipients of a FEBS Long-Term Fellowship to start work in an independent position in a FEBS country.
- The grant will consist of a single sum of money which may be used to buy small pieces of equipment and specific consumable items, but not as a salary or to defray travel, conference, publication or similar expenses. The maximum amount awarded, which in 2017 amounts to €10,000, will be determined by the FEBS Fellowships Committee, in consultation with the FEBS Treasurer.
- Applications will be assessed only once a year and must be received by the Chairperson of the FEBS Fellowships Committee before April 1st of the corresponding year. Application may be made during the tenure of the Long-Term Fellowship, but not longer than 24 months after its completion. Retrospective applications cannot be considered.
- Application Forms may be downloaded from the right side of this page (Related Documents).
Completed Applications Forms written in English should be sent to the Chairperson of the FEBS Fellowships Committee together with the following documents in English:
a. A statement from the head of the institute or department where the work will be done confirming that the applicant has been offered an independent career position, specifying the type of position this is, and stating that he/she will have adequate research facilities to do the work.
b. An updated CV.
c. An outline of the research proposal on no more than five A4-sized pages of single-spaced text set out under the following headings:
ii. purpose, including the immediate and longer-term aims;
iii. background relating the proposed research to the present body of knowledge;
iv. plan, including details of the experiments to be carried out;
d. A description of how the FEBS grant will be spent stating the reasons for the expenditure.e. Each article published or submitted for publication (copies of reprints, accepted preprints or manuscripts, including for the latter a copy of an acceptance letter from a journal) relating to the work performed during the tenure of the FEBS Long-Term Fellowship.
f. A letter from the appropriate FEBS Constituent Society confirming that the applicant is a member and indicating the date on which the applicant joined the Society.
All the documents should be sent electronically, preferably as a single pdf file. In addition, the original signed application form should be sent in paper. Should difficulties arise in sending the documents electronically, the entire application can be sent in paper form.
- Applications will be assessed by the Fellowships Committee and the decisions will normally be communicated to the applicants by June 30th of the same year.
- An audited financial report setting out the purchases made with the grant must be sent to the FEBS Treasurer within 12 months of payment of the grant.
- Only one grant may be made to any individual.