Support for Constituent Society Events
FEBS National Lectures
FEBS supports plenary lectures (maximum of five per year) to enhance the scientific meetings of its Constituent Societies, through FEBS National Lecture awards. Established to commemorate the 40th anniversary of FEBS, these enable a distinguished scientist with a significant international reputation for fundamental contributions to the fields of biochemistry and molecular biology who is working in a different FEBS country to the one hosting the event to present a lecture at the meeting, by supporting the speaker’s travel costs. Full further details, see the FEBS National Lectures guidelines.
2017 National Lectures:
• HSBMB Annual Meeting, Athens, Greece 10-12.11.17 Lecturer: Prof. Carl-Henrik Heldin, Sweden
• 9th ÖGMBT meeting, Innsbruck, Austria 25-27.9.17 Lecturer: Prof. Maria Mota, Portugal
• GBM International Conference, Bochum, Germany 24-27.9.17 Lecturer: Prof. Maya Schuldiner, Israel
• 53rd Contact meeting of NBS, Gol, Norway 19-22.1.17 Lecturer: Prof. Emmanuelle Charpentier, Germany
2016 National Lectures:
• XIX SPB National Congress of Biochemistry, Guimares, Portugal 8-10.12.16 Lecturer: Prof. Giovanni Mann, UK
• V Congress of the NCBMB, Sochi-Dagomys, Russia 4-9.10.16 Lecturer: Prof. Israel Silman, Israel
• 8th ÖGMBT meeting, Graz, Austria 12-14.9.16 Lecturer: Prof. Alan Warren, UK
• 2016 Annual Congress of MBKE, Szeged, Hungary 28-31.8.16 Lecturer: Prof. Michael Lisanti, UK
• HDBMB 40th Anniversary Congress, Split, Croatia 1-4.6.16 Lecturer: Dr Ivan Matic, France
• 10th Transporter Colloquium (GBM), Germany 13-15.4.16 Lecturer: Prof. Gunnar von Heijne, Sweden
• 10th SifrARN meeting (SFBBM), Toulouse, France 8-10.3.16 Lecturer: Dr John van der Oost, Netherlands
2015 National Lectures:
• Molecules for Life (HDBMB), Portoroz, Slovenia 16-19.9.15 Lecturer: Prof. Yosef Yarden, Israel
• XXXVIII SEBBM meeting, Valencia, Spain 7-10.9.15 Lecturer: Prof. Antonio Vidal-Puig, UK
• International Structural Genomics Conference, Rehovot, Israel 7-11.6.15 Lecturer: Prof. Janet Thornton, UK
• Allosteric Pharmacology, Rome, Italy 18.5.15 Lecturer: Sir John Walker, UK
The FEBS3+ Meetings programme was established to support scientific meetings organized through collaboration of at least three FEBS Constituent Societies. These events (a maximum of two per year) should be scientific meetings with symposia and colloquia corresponding to the format of an annual national scientific meeting of a Constituent Society. In 2016 the support was €20,000, with €10,000 awarded to the host Society for general organization purposes to cover lecturers’ travel expenses, accommodation, congress venue renting and so on, and a second €10,000 awarded for a 3+ Fellowship scheme to attract young scientists living outside the host country who are members of the two (or more) collaborating Societies. For further details, see the FEBS3+ Meetings guidelines.
FEBS 3+ meetings:
2018: MBKE (Hungary, organiser), SBD (Slovenia), HDBMB (Croatia) and SBS (Serbia) 2-5.9.18
2018: 11th Parnas Conference: UBS (Ukraine, organiser), ISBMB (Israel) and PTBioch (Poland) 2-5.9.18 Kiev, Ukraine
2017: SEBBM (Spain, organiser), SFBBM (France) and SPB (Portugal) 23-26.10.17 Barcelona, Spain
2016: 10th Parnas Conference: PTBioch (organiser), UBS (Ukraine) and ISBMB (Israel) 10-12.7.16 Wroclaw, Poland
2015: SBD (Slovenia, organiser), HDBMB (Croatia), MBKE (Hungary) and SBS (Serbia) 16-19.9.15 Portoroz, Slovenia
FEBS Education Workshops
The FEBS Education Committee has developed workshops that can be co-organized with FEBS Consitutent Societies to promote high-quality undergraduate and postgraduate education in the molecular life sciences in different countries of the FEBS area. These cover a range of topical issues of interest to both educators and young scientists, including post-graduate education, problem-based learning, designing laboratory practicals, and key scientific skills. For recent and upcoming education workshops, please refer to the Education page of the FEBS website; for more information for Constituent Societies interested in hosting education workshops, or other education queries, please contact Gül Güner Akdogan, Chair, FEBS Education Committee, via the Contact Us section of the website.
Photos show (from top): Prof. Fiona Watt as the FEBS National Lecturer at an a meeting of the Spanish Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Prof. Ada Yonath (speaker) with organizers of a FEBS3+ meeting of the Croatian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, the Hungarian Biochemical Society, and the Slovenian Biochemical Society; and a FEBS education workshop at the Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology, Gdansk (supported by the Polish Biochemical Society).